Disciplinary Authorities - Penalties specified in Rule 11
(1) The President may impose any of the penalties specified in Rule 11 on any Government servant.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-rule (1), but subject to the provisions of sub-rule (4), any of the penalties specified in Rule 11 may be imposed on - (a) a member of a Central Civil Service other than the General Central Service, by the appointing authority or the authority specified in the schedule in this behalf or by any other authority empowered in this behalf by a general or special order of the President ; (b) a person appointed to a Central Civil Post included in the General Central Service, by the authority specified in this behalf by a general or special order of the President or, where no such order has been made, by the appointing authority or the authority specified in the Schedule in this behalf.
(3) Subject to the provisions of sub-rule (4), the power to impose any of the penalties specified in Rule 11 may also be exercised, in the case of a member of a Central Civil Services, Group ' C' (other than the Central Secretariat Clerical Service), or a Central Civil Service, Group 'D', -
(a) if a serving in a Ministry or Department of the Government of India, by the Secretary to the Government of India in that Ministry or Department, or
(b) if he is serving in any office, by the head of that office, except where the head of that office is lower in rank than the authority competent to impose the penalty under sub-rule (2).
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in this rule-
(a) except where the penalty specified in clause (v) or clause (vi) of Rule 11 is imposed by the Comptrroller and Auditor-General on a member of the Indian Audit and Accounts Service, no penalty specified in clause (v) to (ix) of that rule shall be imposed by any authority subordinate to the appointing authority;
(b) where a Government servant who is a member of a Service other than the General Central Service or who has been substantively appointed to any civil post in the General Central Service, is temporarily appointed to any other Service ro post, the authority competent to impose on such Government servant any of the penalties specified in clauses (v) to (ix) of Rule 11 shall not impose any such penalties unless it has consulted such authority, not being an authority subordinate to it, as would have been competent under sub-rule (2) to impose on the Government servant any of the said penalties had he not been appointed to such other Service or post ;
(c) in respect of a probationer undergoing training at the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Adminstration the Director of the said Academy shall be the authority competent to impose on such probationer any of the penalties specified in clauses (i) and (iii) of rule 11 after observing the procedure laid down in rule.
16. EXPLANATION - I . For the purposes of clause (c), 'probationer' means a person appointed to a Central Civil Service on probation.
EXPLANATION - II. Where a Government servant belonging to a Service or holding a Central Civil post of any Group, is promoted, whether on probation or temporarily to the Service or Central Civil post of the next higher Group, he shall be deemed for the purposes of this rule to belong to the Service of, or hold the Central Civil post of, such higher Group.